Sunday, April 13, 2014

Ka Wa'a: Legends of the Sea

Man, has the past few months have been so crazy with rehearsals. Tihati has opened another new show in Ko'olina, the first time Tihati has had a show on the west side- my side! Now I don't have to drive all the way to Waikiki through all that traffic for once. Too bad it's only twice a week.

This new show at the Marriott Koolina Beachclub Hotel is called Ka Wa'a: Legends of the Sea. It's similar to the other shows we have in Waikiki. What I like about it is that since it's on the west side, we do hula (kahiko and auana) that talk about the west side Ewa area. Since I'm from the west side, these dances are very special to me.

Every Mondays on the great lawn of the hotel, we have a teaser show to promote the Tuesday Ka Wa'a show. It's just three numbers- we do hula kahiko, Tahitian aparima, and hula auana with uli'uli (feather rattling gourd). Mondays show are free and open to the public. You just come to the great lawn, sit down and relax as the hotels activity coordinators talk story with you and we dance for you.

Tuesdays is a luau style show that is also on the great lawn. As guests come in they are greeted with a lei and have the option of taking a photo with our dancers. Before the show starts we have activities for everyone, including getting Polynesian tattoos (with a sharpie), lei making, kapa printing, ukulele lessons, hula lessons, and we also have vendors where you can buy Polynesian crafts. This show is probably the most interactive show we have on Oahu.

My favorite thing about this show is the sunset!

Kahiko costume for Tuesdays Ka Wa'a show.

Kahiko costume for Mondays

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you dance! I like to dance hula and tahitian too but I quit during my senior year of high school; I miss it so much but it's hard to juggle with school and work. One day I plan on taking a break from work and going back and maybe I can find a job too! It's so funny I just came back from Koolina, too bad you guys weren't performing then, that would have been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking into this show. Is it any good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes! It's very interactive, the food is great, you got the view of the sunset which is beautiful, and the show itself is awesome!

    ReplyDelete