Monday, April 28, 2014

51st Annual Merrie Monarch Festival

This past week at work, Merrie Monarch was all my co-workers and I would talk about! Because we dance at night, some of us weren't able to watch it live at home. It's a good thing I have DVR! I didn't get to watch everything because I've been pretty busy, but what I did watch that was my favorite was Halau Na Lei Kaumaka O Uka of Kula, Maui under the direction of Kumu hula Napua Greig. I only got to watch their kahiko performance, which was on Friday, and it was beautiful! They won 2nd place for the wahine kahiko. This is the same halau that Miss Aloha Hula 2013 is from- Manalani English. She is so sweet and such a beautiful dancer. Becoming Miss Aloha Hula one day is definitely one of my dreams. Miss Aloha Hula this year to me was pretty boring. There's usually a dancer that stands out from the rest, but there was none this year. But overall there's always a halau that wows the crowd and that halau is the Academy of Hawaiian Arts of Oakland, California udner the direction of Kumu hula Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu. He is always the crowds favorite because of his originality in his dances. Because he's not traditional he doesn't every win or place in the top 5, so he pretty much goes for the entertainment. It's always exciting when his halau performs. And in case you didn't know, Mark Ho'omalu is the guy that sings Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride in Lilo & Stitch! (Click on the following link to watch his halau perform: Academy of Hawaiian Arts).

Halau Na Lei Kaumaka O Uka: 2nd place wahine kahiko
Here's a throwback to 49th Merrie Monarch in 2012 when I (right) competed with Ilima Hula Studio. This is our kahiko.
Ilima Hula Studio auana 2012 (me far left).

Dancing in Merrie Monarch is definitely an honor and a privilege. Being able to dance on that stage where thousands of people have set foot to give it their all is a powerful feeling. It was definitely a memorable moment for me and I hope to go back and compete again.

2 comments:

  1. I love watching the Merrie Monarch too, and I hope to one day dance in one!! That's so cool that you were in Merrie Monarch. I can just imagine that feeling of being up on that stage, showing the world what you worked so hard to do, and performing the best you ever have. I have danced hula and have done musical theater, so I know how good it feels to showcase your work in front of an audience. I think the halau that went to perform from Kaua'i came in 5th for Miss Aloha Hula and placed again for auana, I think (I'm not so sure). I didn't watch the awards ceremony. But I think Merrie Monarch is an awesome tradition and I hope it lasts forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching the Merrie Monarch! Its such a beautiful festival! I love watching each night! Although, I missed the kahiko and auana this year. My uncle is actually a kumu for Halau I Ka Wekiu. But I agree with you that this year's Miss Aloha Hula 2014 didn't really stand out compared to Manalani, last year! She's a great performer and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete